Choosing Stylish Lamp Shades: Let us Be Your Guide
With a name like “Shades of Light,” it should not come as a surprise that we take lamp shades very seriously around here. We know that buying the right accent piece to top off your lamp base can bring together the overall look of your lighting fixture, or the whole room for that matter. So whether you’re following a hot trend like modern drum shades, you want colorful prints for a whimsical look, or you’re searching for a classically elegant design with vintage flair, you can trust we will be all over it.
Types of Lampshades
Knowing differences in types of shades can help you to choose a style that fits your room. There is perhaps, no quicker, easier way to give a living room or bedroom a facelift than to top off your light fixtures with new style. To that point, we have the latest styles in shades for table lamps and floor lamps as well as chandelier shades and wall sconce shades. No matter which lamp or light fixture you need a shade for, here are a few style terms you may encounter when buying online:
- Mini: When it comes to shades, how small is “small”? Our mini shades, 6” and below, are typically used as chandelier shades. Our next size up, small 7” – 12” shades include choices that are suitable for both wall sconces and small lamps. When you browse products, the shade diameter is conveniently included in the product name. For shades with a wider bottom than top, the measurement in the name represents the bottom diameter.
- Rounded: Looking to add a touch of elegance to your lamp? Rounded designs like drum, oval, cone, and empire shades diffuse light beautifully and bring an upscale panache to your room design.
- Geometric: For modern and mid-century modern shapes, consider a geometric shade! Angular shade styles like square, rectangular, and hexagonal can add unexpected visual interest to your space.
- Colorful Shades: If neutral lamp shades in classic white, cream, or beige aren’t your style, consider adding a pop of color, like a bright blue, navy, green, or pink.
- Antique & Vintage Inspired: Antique reproduction lamp shades evoke an even further bygone era, often in textures like glass, fringe, and beaded that aren’t commonly found in current designs
- Rustic: Simple elements like burlap, linen, cork, and cotton in muted earth tones complement rustic farmhouse or cottage interiors
- Traditional: Think back to the timeless lamp shades you may have seen on your parents’ or grandparents’ living room lamps, often linen, paper shades, and silk shades inside pleated and box pleated shapes
- Modern: These shades step outside of the traditional box to incorporate innovative shapes like drum, square, and cylinder for a sleek, cool lamp shade look that feels like now
- Nautical: Lamp shades with beachy elements like capiz shells, seagrass, and grasscloth can evoke coastal style in any room
- Whimsical: Go for something different with feather shades, hand-painted shades, string shades, and ruffle shades