What is Modern Farmhouse Style?
Farmhouse style is a lighting and home decor look that combines nostalgia for country charm with modern design sensibilities. This popular design theme is loved by many because it works so well to add simple charm throughout the home. From vintage farmhouse kitchens that harken back to open, rustic barn spaces, to cottage-style farmhouse living rooms and antique-inspired vintage farmhouse exteriors, there is plenty of variety within farmhouse style!
Is Farmhouse Lighting & Decor Still In Style?
Farmhouse style has been having a moment for several years now, thanks in part to home style icon Joanna Gaines, who is a lover of this look! Even though you may be seeing more farmhouse style fixtures in homes recently than you had in previous decades, this aesthetic is not in danger of going out of style, because it is rooted in a love of understated, timeless traditions. Looking for farmhouse lights featured on the popular HGTV show Fixer Upper? Browse our collection of Magnolia Home lighting as-seen on Fixer Upper.
Types of Farmhouse Fixture and Accents
There are many categories of lighting and home decor that are well-suited for creating a farmhouse look. At Shades of Light, we know that farmhouse style can be the central theme of a room, woven throughout every element, or farmhouse pieces can work as accents, coordinated with an otherwise industrial, modern, or traditional home. Here are a few farmhouse collections you’ll encounter on our site:
- Farmhouse Chandeliers: Centerpiece fixtures in natural rustic materials like wood, jute, and iron, chandeliers make a great farmhouse dining room light
- Farmhouse Bath Lights: From metal cage 2-light vanity lights to seeded glass bath sconces, these bath lights will bring a hint of old-world charm to your up-to-date bathroom
- Farmhouse Home Decor: The possibilities are endless with rustic signs and wall shelves, clocks, chalk boards, wall planters, and more eye-catching farmhouse home accents
- Farmhouse Furniture: Ranging from stately cabinets and bookshelves in distressed, reclaimed woods to woven seat benches and craftsman side tables, these farmhouse furniture pieces look like a bit of a barn re-imagined in your home
- Farmhouse Mirrors: At the intersection of form and function, find mirrors that double as storage when you shop our farmhouse mirrors with shelves and baskets. If a flat mirror is more your style, browse mirrors with unexpected frame materials like wooden slats or antlers.
- Farmhouse Rugs: Great for adding a touch of farmhouse charm to a bedroom or living room, low profile rugs in stripes, florals, and intricate basket weaves will evoke a timeless handmade feel (without any weaving knowledge required!)
- Farmhouse Outdoor Lights: Give your exteriors a vintage farmhouse feel with farmhouse porch lights, walkway post lights, and outdoor hanging lanterns in rustic iron and glass.