- The more basic the shape of the body of the lamp, the more varied styles of shades it can take.
- Repeat the shape(s) in the lamp body in the shade shape; i.e., a round lamp on a square base can take a shade with a rounded top and square bottom.
- Always take the lamp body (not necessarily the shade) to the store to buy a new shade.
- Match lampshade colors to the trim color in your room and the tones in the lamp body. Don’t be afraid of black or color as an accent.
- Consider your wattage needs! The lampshade (not the lamp body) determines maximum wattage allowed.
- Consider the style of the lamp when selecting a shade. A busy lamp generally calls for a plainer shade.
- For DRAMA, break the rules! Try “extreme” shades! Put a deep cone shade on a short round ball base, a white shade on a beige vase, a cube shade on a stacked ball lamp, a red or black shade on a boring base shape, etc.
Â©2005 Ashton Harrison. All Rights Reserved.